Date1944DimensionsL 605mm x W 1136mm x D 12mmAccession Number89.858
More Information
Exhibition Label
Coff's Harbour Jetty Cranes
Donated to Coff's Harbour Historical Society 14 August 1984
Until 1890, ships visiting Coff's Harbour (Korff's Harbour) anchored in the lee of Coff's or Muttonbird Island and logs to be loaded were floated out on the ebb tide.
Construction of a jetty began in 1890 and the first 1000 feet completed by 1893. Breakwater construction followed (1912 - 1925) and by 1945 the work of strengthening, widening and lengthening the jetty was completed - the total length now being 1640 feet.
The first of the two diesel electric cranes was set in place about 1946 and the second in 1955. However, by this time the timber boom was over, the biggest year having been 1949/50 with 126 ships entering the port to load 48,000 tons of timber.
The last ship to use the port was the "Abel Tasman", its run finishing in 1975.
The two cranes remained as an interesting feature of the Jetty skyline until April, 1984 when they were demolished and sold for scrap. This nameplate is all that remains to remind us Coff's Harbour was once a flourishing North Coast port.
(Information Public Works Dept.)
Description
Metal Stothert & Pitt Ltd plaque, rectangular with holes for bolts in each corner. Stothert & Pitt cranes were used at the Jetty.