The first Europeans in the Bellinger Valley was a party of sawyers from the Macleay in 1841. They were looking for rivers where cedar could be cut. Another survey followed in 1842 that claimed the Bellinger River navigable.
Shortly after, The Sydney Morning Herald wrote: "The Bellinger River valley abounds with cedar of the finest quality and abundance. It was reported that the bar had plenty of depth and it was no danger to shipping.
However, the bar wasn't as easy to cross as first believed. Many sailing ships were pulled over the bar with hand-operated winches which attached the anchors that were dropped over the side. In 1880 a privately owned tug 'volunteer' was working at the Heads, and this made the bar crossing much safer.
The valley continued to grow in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Towns in the area developed with the increase of sawmills and timber cutting jobs. Then came the railway construction. Farming was carried out as the cedar was cut and bushland was cleared. Shops, schools, police stations, hotels and post offices were built.